Monday 15 August 2011

Welcome to my Soul Kitchen!

I'm afraid I couldn't do a post without a music reference....sorry! 


So I love to cook, I cooked a bit at home but it is since leaving home 3 years ago I have really started having fun with it. The boyfriend and I cook a delicious home-cooked meal every day - it's not a huge hassle so I thought I would give you a recipe for a very quick, healthy and gorgeous dinner! The recipe is Pea and Mint Soup and it will be ready in half an hour.


What you'll need for 4 portions:


- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 sticks celery, chopped fairly finely
- 1-2 large potatoes, in small cubes
- frozen peas
- chicken/vegetable stock
- several mint leaves (3-6)


1. Pop your onion, celery and potato in a pan and sweat gently in a little oil for 5 mins. Add the garlic, cook for another 2 mins and then pour over stock to cover.
2. Leave to bubble away (covered with lid) for about 10 minutes and then test a piece of potato to see if its cooked - if you cut it quite small it should be done in 10-15 mins. Once it is pour in your frozen peas (lots - sorry for not measuring them, I just do it by eye, but you want quite a lot - probably about 500g) and bring up to the boil again.
3. Let the peas cook for about 3 minutes and then chuck in about 3 mint leaves and blend (using a hand blender or a liquidizer) until nearly smooth. Taste, add more mint if needed (don't want it too minty - you don't want to drink toothpaste!) and season with salt and pepper, making sure to slightly underseason with the salt.
4. Blend until completely smooth and enjoy!


The way I have it is with a rasher of streaky bacon crisped up and sprinkled on top - this is why you don't add too much salt. 
It should take less than half an hour and is delicious and super healthy plus you'll probably have most of the ingredients lying around anyway!


Here's mine!


Hope you like it!

1 comment:

  1. Nom! Thanks for this, I'll definitely be trying it out! Looks scrummy :)

    ReplyDelete