Tuesday 16 August 2011

Baking mad!

I love to bake. If it didn't make me bankrupt and obese I would probably bake every single day! I try to control myself but with my boyfriend's family paying a visit at the weekend I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to do some baking.

My joints are all a bit poorly sick at the moment so I enlisted the help of the boyfriend to help with the mixing/wielding my ancient 80's electric mixer. We decided to do lemon cupcakes as they go down well with everyone!

What you'll need for 12 large cupcakes - we did double this and it made 28!

125g caster sugar
125g softened butter - MUST be softened
2 eggs
zest of 1 lemon
125g self raising flour
2tbsp milk

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C.
1. Using an electric mixer (or a whisk if you are feeling masochistic) beat your butter until it is really soft. Then add your sugar and cream together until very light and fluffy (the fluffier you make it the more they will rise).
2. Add in your beaten eggs a bit at a time and combine well making sure it is still very light and fluffy.
3. Chuck your lemon zest in and whisk some more.
4. Add half the (sifted) flour and fold in with a metal spoon. Add the rest of the flour and the milk and fold in. Be really gentle doing this as you don't want to knock the air out.
5. Pop your mixture into some paper or silicone cases (don't fill all the way up - they will rise a lot!) and bake for 12 minutes or until light golden and springy to the touch.

You can eat them just like that but I like some icing on mine so here is a quick recipe for a lemon buttercream icing:

Beat 75g softened butter until really soft then add 125g sifted icing sugar and whisk together. Add the zest of a lemon and 2-3 tsp of fresh lemon juice, also put in any food colouring you want now. Beat together and then just keep adding lemon juice until you have a nice spreadable mix.
Pipe or spoon it onto your cupcakes and you're done!

Here are mine:



They went down a treat! I plan on making lots more lovely baked goods as my boyfriends very sweet mum bought me the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook so I am well on my way to obesity!

1 comment:

  1. They look yummy! Might have to try making these :)

    ReplyDelete